The introduction of solid food is SO important and I was overwhelmed by the amount of information you can find out there. So I decided to get an online consultation with a team of pediatric nutritionists, the best in their field lead by @dra.mafergastropedia
ABOVE ALL I RECOMMEND YOU HIRING A SESSION WITH HER IF YOU WANT TO BETTER UNDERSTAND AND CUSTOMIZE IT TO YOUR BABY. As each baby & family is so different (for example I don't eat red meat or chicken). They offer online sessions in both Spanish and English. They also help older kids with picky eating and lactating moms.
But as you all were requesting, I am going to share the exact way I am introducing solids to Sofia, please make sure to read all the tips as well.
I love this method provided and created by my pediatric nutritionists team, it allows the baby to have a balanced diet of all nutritional groups, which helps their development to the fullest, and it also allows them to have a variety in their meals (making them more interested in food).
Before you see the Introductory chart
- Each Group is a Nutritional Group (see below), you will choose one food of each group
- The goal is to feed 5 groups every meal, by day 15th. After that day, there will always be 5 groups every meal.
- The same is fed 3 times a day. So day 1 you are feeding 1 food 3 times a day, by day 15th you are feeding 5 foods 5 times a day.
- 5 foods = 1 meal. Served 3 times a day. But since we are introducing foods, the first 15 days you are leading up to the 5 foods. Then you only rotate a new food (1/5) every 3 days.
GROUP 1: PROTEIN
Egg, Fish, Meat, Beans....
GROUP 2: VEGGIE
Carrot, broccoli, asparagus...
GROUP 3: CEREAL
Oatmeal, rice, quinoa, potato...
GROUP 4: FATS
Avocado, olive oil, nuts...
GROUP 5: FRUIT
Strawberries, pear, apple, banana, pineapple....
* You can start with any group, and the order of groups does not matter (you can start with group 5, then 3, 2, 4, 1... however you want, but you have to stick to that order when you start the rotation, which starts after the 15th day!)
* The order of each food of each category is also up to you!
* I personally chose to start with fats, with avocado, as it's a very easy food. Then I chose a vegetable, a carrot in puree form. Etc...
* NUTS are always in buttery form (containing ONE ingredient no sugar/salt added)
* OLIVE OIL can be added to another ingredient, say fish with top of olive oil.
WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT TO TAKE SUCH DETAIL AND EMPHASIS INTO THE INTRODUCTION OF SOLID FOOD?
1. Yes it may be more work now from 6 months to 12 months, through this introduction/rotation process, but this will help avoid picky eaters!! Which means later on and all of their life, they will be able to eat whatever we adults are eating.
2. This will help their mental & physical development, A GOOD BALANCED DIET IS EVERYTHING.
3. Give them a better future: give them their health! Less allergies, less illnesses.
See more tips on this topic here
Understand why you need to introduce each food on their own so many times here
Why I chose this method here
And questions responded by my pediatric nutritionist team here