If your baby is still breastfeeding, exclusively or not, remember the following:
Make sure you are properly hydrated, especially if your holiday destination is hot! If you need extra fluids, chances are your baby will too – offer extra feeds if necessary. Stick to bottled water and refuse ice cubes.
Make sure you don’t overdo it. Your energy level (and your milk supply) will thank you.
Make sure you eat properly. Remember depending where you go: “if you can’t peel it or heat it, don’t eat it.”
Traveling while eating solids is a big deal! The amount they actually eat at first isn’t very much. You can get away with bringing a few things:
Jars of fresh food -sealed with no preservatives last up to a week (always refrigerated)
A box of cereal (quinoa, rice, oatmeal...sugar free, of course)
The right spoons, plates, bibs...
And get local fruit & vegetables that require peeling and the baby has had before.
Researching a good baby-friendly resort is also a plus, my resort had baby food (single or mix ingredient purees) in every single restaurant, which gave me peace of mind!
To feed on plane:
You can bring any baby food and beverage on board but.
TSA will check it all so I recommend packing ALL baby food that you’ll feed the baby at the airport/on board, in a mini cooler bag, in your backpack.
Bring an empty bag for all dirty bibs and empty reusable pouches.
I personally packed her 5 groups of homemade food in individual & reusable pouches, enough in each pouch for two meals planning for all travel time, door to door.
Bring an empty sippy cup & tons of bibs and extra wipes.
OVERALL FOOD & TRAVEL TIPS:
- Always mix cereal with bottled water
- Offer extra water & milk feedings consistently through the day
- Always offer bottled water
- Never add ice
- Don't introduce a new food to the baby while on vacation
- Bring your small baby cook
- Search in advanced if they sell your favorite baby food in the new destination
- Bring a cooling bag on flight & while traveling (to beach, restaurant etc)
- Get a baby friendly resort. I had peace of mind knowing my resort also cooked purees.